Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Why Fear is Your Friend

As my family unfortunately knows, I have an absurd amount of fears which makes me very jumpy. They like to hide behind walls and leap out, just to hear me scream like I’ve been stabbed (not even an exaggeration). However, I’ve always associated my fears with weakness until recently. I’ve learned how useful they can be, and here are two reasons why:


Growth- I like to believe that there cannot be growth without pain, hence the term growing pains; therefore, facing your fears will make you a stronger person. Now I’m not talking about having a fear of being murdered, but if you’re like me and are afraid of whales (shut up, I don’t want to hear it) then try slowly getting yourself accustomed to one in a safe enviornment. Hey...hey! This is a judgement free zone! There are weirder things to be afraid of….I think...

Strength- Being vulnerable is not the same as being weak. Everyone has a fear of being rejected or failing, but not pursing something because of those fears is the true weakness, not the act of failing itself. “If it excites you and scares the crap out of you at the same time, it probably means you should do it.” -Jack Cheng.


So how does this apply to you?
WELL I’m glad you asked. Your fears are the ideal opportunity for growth and here are some examples:
  • I was afraid of launching my blog, but here you are reading it.
  • I was afraid of joining the gym but now my mom calls me “Miss Muscles”.
  • I was afraid to admit that my mom calls me that but ya know, whatever. It happens.
Now it’s your turn. If you hate heights, climb a tree. If you are afraid of public speaking, volunteer to go first the next time an opportunity arises. Just don’t do that whole “picturing the audience in their underwear” thing. It’s creepy.


Whatever you do, don’t let your fears hold you back from living your life. One of my favorite lines that keeps me going is, “It is okay to be afraid, just don’t let fear stop you” and if that means that I have to play Just Dance in a room full of people, then so be it. Go make today the day that you are unstoppable.


Tell me about how you will conquer your fears on Twitter @TheDayILived.

No comments:

Post a Comment