Tuesday, August 4, 2015

What Surgery Taught Me

Okay so maybe some of you are being a bit judgemental right now, “Megan, you just had your wisdom teeth removed. It’s not a big deal, everyone does it.” But that doesn’t mean that we still can’t learn important lessons from the drugged up, loopy stages of anesthesia- and boy were mine..interesting.


Laughter- So in this particular case I would not consider laughter to be the best medicine. It does however help cheer you up when your face is the size of Texas. Even when you want to hide yourself from the world because of your unsightly appearance, being around friends and family will help you tremendously. Not as much as painkillers..but it helps.


Ice Ice Baby- “Dance, go rush the speaker that booms/ I'm killing your brain like a”...Wow I’m so sorry. I promise I won’t do that again. But something you learn during surgery is that ice is your best friend. I have some pretty hysterical videos expressing my gratitude to my ice which I will not release, but make sure you ice and rest.
The kind nurse helping me walk afterwards


Laughter 2.0- While I was writing lesson two I started laughing and it opened up the wound. I take it back DO NOT LAUGH, I REPEAT..DO   NOT  LAUGH.


Help can help- I’m usually a ‘do it all by myself’ kind of girl but let me tell you, there are some things in life that you just need assistance with. Like walking after anesthesia, not saying something stupid after anesthesia (which I did anyway), getting food, having your phone taken away to prevent those infamous ‘I just took my medication and have the giggles’ texts, which also happened to me. So if you got one of those…..yeah…sorry.


Teamwork- They say it takes a village to raise a child, but it apparently takes a town to heal you post op. Dad to get you soup, many friends to bring you ice cream and encouraging words, “No Megan, I can’t even tell, you look great!”, sister to decipher what your hand motions mean because you can’t talk, and Mom to take care of literally everything else. Don’t forget to thank your team..Team Megan has been killing the game lately and I’m so grateful for that.


While I might be on just Day 1 of my recovery, I already managed to pull a lot of lessons from a less than ideal situation, which just goes to show, everything in life is just one big lesson...and the most important lesson of all- Jell-O is entirely underrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment