Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Netflix, Friend or Foe?

Generally, I live by the line “Everything is good in moderation so I consider this following scenario slight out of character for me. Despite my best efforts, I have become hopelessly attached to binge watching Netflix, which has me so engrossed and negligent, my room is just short of looking like the aftermath of an atomic bomb. Perhaps it occurred to me when my aunt asked, “So what TV shows do you watch?” that I realized that I might not be the only one who has a complicated relationship to one of America’s currently top visited sites.

Pros
Endless hours of entertainment- Well technically not endless...But I’m trying to make a point, okay?
Bonding- If you find someone that loves the same shows you do, you’ve just made a new best friend. It’s debatable that you might even be considered soul mates at that point.
Convenience- Watch when you want, how you want. Watch it in your bathtub for all anyone cares...I know your show can get exciting, but try and refrain from splashing around.
Price- Goodbye $8 popcorn and $13+ tickets and hello to pj’s and a monthly subscription. Nobody is trying to rip you off with $5 boxes of candy in your own house. And if they are, you have bigger problems than a Netflix addiction.


Cons
Time- Netflix can be an enormous time suck. I’m talking about hours, maybe even days of full fledged hibernation.
Addiction- I have a friend from school that would be on Netflix for hours every day, only breaking for the bathroom, class, and me of course.
The Rabbit Hole Effect- Yes I made this up just now, but I’m talking about when you start with one show that leads to another, and another, and soon enough, you are watching movies in different languages that are so bizarre, some don’t even have ratings yet. Just call me Alice.


Netflix and I have a bittersweet relationship, and now that I’ve just finished all four seasons of Lost Girl, I should probably start the chores I’ve been putting off to try to ward off the infamous “post series devastation”.
So what do you think, friend or foe?

Follow me on Twitter @TheDayILived and let me know what shows have you hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment