Saturday, May 6, 2017

The Truth About Yoga...


Somehow I found myself twisted into a little Megan pretzel as I tried to untangle my limbs.


yoga.png

You see, I decided to try my hand at yoga- the one thing I swore to myself I would never do, and let me tell you, it’s really stupidly hard. Not only do you have to stay in the physical pose (as your legs wobble and knees buckle underneath you) but you have to stay mentally engaged. Ugh. You’re really asking too much of me.


But my university offered a free class, and my friend had asked me to go. She really is what kept me accountable for actually showing up and not screaming mid class. Alright, as I start off every session, “LET’S GET BENDY!”


Tip No. 1:


Do not eat a large quantity of nachos before class. You can and will throw up all over your matt. I think it was a blessing in disguise that my class got canceled that day and that never happened…
yoga2.jpg

Tip No. 2:


Actually do it a few times. Seriously, the first few times are brutal, and the only inner dialogue that is happening is, “Why?! Why did I do this? I’m never doing this again. I bet this is what dying feels like, that’s why they’re all so existential about it, because we’re dying…”


Tip No. 3:


yoga3.jpg
Found this somewhere on Pinterest
Doing some practice on my own helped me be more confident in class. The thought of literally falling on your face is pretty terrifying, so getting to figure out your own body could help you find both your external and internal balance (lol see what I did there?)


Tip No. 4:


Finally figuring out how to do the poses correctly (ands pronounce their names) is super exciting. It’s a weird sense of accomplishment that I did not expectt to have. So try to at least get to the point where you’ll at least know what the jargon means before you swear it off.


Tip No. 5:


Expect to be sweaty. No, like, yoga is so hard and I sweat more during my classes than I did at any of my soccer games or track meets. You end up using muscles you didn’t even know you had, so naturally it’ll be uncomfortable.


You’ll end up surprising yourself within a few weeks of practice. Not only have I gotten more flexible and eased some of the chronic pain in my body, but notice that I look better and feel stronger. Try something new today readers, especially something that is “not your thing”. 
Namaste people, LET’S GET BENDY!

No comments:

Post a Comment